Your Rights as an Aquarion Customer
To be the service provider, employer and investment of choice through a relentless commitment to excellence.
We will work with you to set up an equal payment budget plan to enable you to pay your water bills. We also offer an extended payment agreement. This plan allows you to spread any overdue part of your water bill over several months while you continue to pay your current bills.
Your Right to Dispute Your Water Bill and Obtain a Hearing
If you dispute your bill, you may call or write our Customer Service Department, preferably within 10 days after receipt of your bill. If you wish to dispute our regarding your complaint, you have the right to appeal to the Department of Public Utility (DPU). You should make your appeal within seven days after receiving Aquarion’s decision.
If Your Water is Shut Off
If your water bill is overdue we may shut off your water. However, certain customers are eligible for protection against water shut-offs. The following is a summary of the rights of people in those categories. If you need more details, contact Aquarion or the DPU at the addresses given below.
Who is Eligible for Protection
There are two requirements for protection. First, you must have a financial hardship. Second, you must also:
- Be seriously ill, or
- Have someone living in your home who is seriously ill, or
- Have a child 12 months of age or younger living in your home, or
- Have a heating system that depends on water service (this protection covers only the winter months between November 15 and March 15 provided that your water service has not been shut off for non-payment before November 15)
To Maintain or Restore Service:
If you meet the requirements listed above, call us at the above number and request a Financial Hardship Certification Form or click here to print the form. Provide all the required information and return it to us within seven days after you receive it. You must renew this certification every three months. If you don’t, your water may be shut off. Please note that your claim must include the following information:
- To document serious illness, we need a registered physician or your local Board of Health to contact us by phone and then certify in writing within seven days that you or someone living in your home have a serious illness. This certification must be renewed every month. If your physician says your illness it chronic, it must be renewed every three months. If you do not renew your certification your water may be shut off.
Click here to print the Certification of Illness form.
- To document that a child 12 months of age or younger lives in your home, within seven days of calling us send one of the following documents stating the name, birth date and address of the child:
- Birth certificate
- Letter from a registered physician
- Letter from your local Board of Health, a hospital or government official, the Department of Public Welfare, a clergyman or religious institution.
- This certificate will remain in effect until the child is older than 12 months.
- To document a heating system that depends on water service, we only require your Financial Hardship Certification Form. If your water was not shut off before November 15, it will not be shut off between November 15 and March 15 if you cannot pay your overdue bill because of financial hardship.
If Your Certification is Rejected
We will notify you of rejection within seven days after receipt of your Financial Hardship form and any other required information.
Is Everyone in Your Home 65 or Older?
If you and all other residents in the home are 65 or older, we cannot terminate your service for failure to pay a past due bill without an investigation by the DPU. If you cannot pay your bill when due, you may set up a reasonable payment plan with Aquarion. You may request a hearing at the DPU before termination. If you have any questions or require further information, please call Aquarion at the number below.
Please contact Aquarion:
(800)732-9678 (Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.)
(For after-hours emergencies, please call (800)732-9678
Aquarion Water Company of Massachusetts
200 Monroe Turnpike
Monroe, CT 06468
Massachusetts Department of Public Utility
1 South Station
Boston, MA 02110
To Make a Payment
Click here for "My Account" options